Some Bicarbonate of Soda Uses
Out of the many, many, uses for bicarbonate of soda, – baking soda – we have gathered together a few of the more practical ones we use. We’re sure you’ll find them helpful. No. You cannot poison ants or pump your tires with it. Baking soda is exactly the same substance as bicarbonate of soda – one thing two names – go figure.
For the Kitchen:
- Oven Cleaner Dampen the floor of the oven, sprinkle with bicarbonate of soda and dampen again. Leave the mixture overnight and then remove with a cloth. Rinse with hot water.
- Dishwasher Powder Make up a powder for the dishwasher by mixing 2 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda with 2 tablespoons of borax.
- Scouring Powder Mix together equal quantities of bicarbonate of soda, borax & salt as a scouring powder on heavy grease and dirt.
- Fridge Odours It’s not a nice thing to arrive at your bush house with odors from a smelly fridge. To eliminate any smells in the fridge, leave a box of bicarbonate of soda, opened in the fridge (if large use two). Stir occasionally and replace after about 3 months.
- Clean Fruit & Vegetables Place fruits or vegetables in a bowl of water with a sprinkle of bicarbonate of soda, wash and then rinse.
- Cleaning Sinks Either place bicarbonate of soda directly onto a damp cloth or make up a paste of soda with a little water. Wipe around the sink & rinse well.
- Cooker Tops As above, make a paste of soda & water and apply with a cloth. Wipe over well and rinse with cold water.
Around the House:
- Mold Away Kill all mold, from white to black and everything in-between. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of bicarb in a 1/2 cup of warm water, add to 500 ml spray bottle of water. Shake well and spray, scrub and wipe away. Repeat if necessary. Always wear safety equipment when dealing with mold.
- Washing Up To a bowl of hot water, add 1 tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda & the juice of half a lemon.
- Pet Odours To help freshen carpets, sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on the carpet, leave for 10 mins and then vacuum up.
- Air Freshener Mix 8 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda with 3- 4 drops of essential oil and place in a bowl.
- Deodorising Drains To freshen drains & help prevent blockages, pour a cup of bicarbonate of soda down the drain and then wash down with some boiling water.
- Blocked Drains Pour about 16 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda down the sink and then pour in about 120ml of white distilled vinegar. Quickly put the plug in for a couple of minutes as the 2 chemicals will fizz (careful how much)(on a double sink close both plugs). After the foam clears, rinse through with a kettle full of boiling water. Bicarb will not harm the bugs in your septic tank – we use one.
- Laundry Add ½ cup of bicarbonate of soda to a load of washing to help with the removal of stains and grease.
- Fabric Conditioner To make your own fabric conditioner, mix equal quantities of water, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar in a storage bottle, take care as the vinegar & soda will fizz up. Add ¼ cup of conditioner to your wash.
Bathrooms and All:
- Bathroom Cleaning To clean all areas in the bathroom, including baths, sinks, tiles etc, make a paste of bicarbonate if soda and water. To give a fresh smell add a couple of drops of lemon essential oil. Using a cloth, wipe around the bathroom & rinse well to remove the white residue.
- Grout Cleaning To clean grout make up a paste of 2 parts bicarbonate of soda and one part vinegar or lemon juice (this will fizz up). Apply the paste to the grout with a toothbrush, leave for 10 mins and then rinse off with warm water.
- Toilet Cleaning To clean the toilet bowl, sprinkle in bicarbonate of soda, add white wine vinegar and scour with a brush.
- Thermos Flasks To get rid of smells in a thermos, fill the thermos with hot water and add a tea spoonful of bicarbonate of soda. Leave to soak for at least 30 mins then empty and rinse.
- Battery Acid For those of you who work with batteries and want to remove/neutralize acid from the battery, surrounds or tools. Mix up 500ml of warm water and add one tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda and stir well. Use an old paint brush to apply the liquid. This will foam and neutralize the acid and when done wash down with plain water.
- Smelly Shoes (track shoes) sprinkle thickly in shoes, give a shake to spread around and leave overnight.
- Face and Body Scrub You may think I’m kidding. When you have used the better bicarb makes like Arm & Hammer or Robertson’s brands as a skin scrub, you will know what I mean. The reason for using these brands, instead of the regular store bought types, comes down to the finer quality and that’s what you need. Simply wet your skin and having spread the bicarb on your hands, rub your skin vigorously and rinse off. Best done in a shower. Don’t make the mistake of using in the bath. That’s it; your money and skin saving effort for this year.